Monday, November 25, 2013

Thanks

November.  It's the season of thanks.  I'm thankful for everything you're thankful for.  Ya know, family, friends, health, etc. Aren't we all?  Of course!

When I started to really dig into what thanksgiving means, it started to feel like so much more than the obvious.  Free dictionary.com defines thanksgiving as a celebration of acknowledgment of divine favours.

Divine is one of my favorite words.   Ever since I read my first Fancy Nancy book. It means sacred.  Set apart.  The word "celebration" represents something worth remembering and "acknowledgment" is the act of recognition.  And my favorite part: favour.  Favour is a formal spelling of "favor" but has the same meaning.  I looked it up...it's British.  The Brits are always fancier.

Anyways, I believe that from time to time, we are handed gifts from God.  Not because we did anything to deserve them because let's face it, we don't.  We are just handed things because he loves us.  Sometimes I will buy something to surprise my kids simply because I want to see the excitement on their face.  I think most things in life we have to work for, but sometimes we are given favour.  Like favors, but from the Lord.

SO, this Thanksgiving, my eyes are opened.  I see all of God's favour over my life and acknowledge all He has graciously provided me.  I don't deserve any free gifts but I think He likes to see the excitement on my face too.

I'm super pumped to eat turkey with my most favorite people and celebrate this life with them!  And when the green bean casserole settles and the pumpkin bars are gone, buckle up.  Santas got big Black Friday plans.




"Give thanks in all circumstances, for this is Gods will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thessalonians 5:18

No comments:

Post a Comment