Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Let Freedom Ring!

Well, today is pretty much the BEST holiday ever.  (besides Christmas) We have our annual pool party at my parents house which follows the Mickells golf tournament for the guys.  (Go Gage!)

I'm not the best in the kitchen even though I really wish I was, so this year I made some cake pops.  They are pretty much idiot proof and you would think I learned my lesson last year when I made them for the first time that they are crazy time consuming.  I should have started 3 days ago.  Instead, I decided to stay up forever last night.  Just kidding, mom! (not really).  Also, for a holiday twist, I substituted sprinkles for POP ROCKS! Boom Slam Fireworks in your mouth, Suckas!


Cake pops with a little extra POP!

Since today is going to be a comfortable 105 degrees, me and my kids will be attending the party pretty much naked.  Also, since Gage hates swimming he will be found in the air condition keeping our baby alive.  Aunt Jody will be providing the eggs for the annual egg toss which I plan on dominating.  If me and my partner totally blow it, the good news is that it will actually be hot enough to cook our splattered egg for a post game snack!  That sounds like a win win to me!

Fireworks start as soon as it's dark and even though Gage lives for fireworks, we will probably just watch the kids do sparklers while blaring "Proud to be an American" and watching our neighbors show.  Someday I hope to let Gage live his dream of spending our life savings at the firework stand.  He still hasn't given up hope of that "Firework fund."  You know, like how normal people have a "Christmas fun?"  Gage wants a "firework fund."  This only makes me slightly nervous after his horrible $50 dud that he bought a few years ago.  I'm 100% serious.  Fifty dollars = ONE firework = dud.

Besides all the fun with family and friends, the best part is what this day represents. I love celebrating the most amazing country!  I always get choked up (surprise surprise) when I see how America comes together on this day to celebrate our freedom.  With that, I leave you with the most amazing words by my girl, Martina...

Let freedom ring! Let the white dove sing!  Let the whole world know that TODAY is a day of reckoning!  Let the weak be strong.  Let the right be wrong.  Roll the stone away, let the guilty pay.  It's Independence Day!



Happy 4th of July everyone!  Stay cool and safe!

No comments:

Post a Comment